John's Chocolate Vienna Speckle Cake with Strawberries
Cake recipe from "Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate"
my friend John made this cake for the Oscar party at my house. It's
Vienna Speckle Torte from "Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate"
An airy sponge cake made with grated chocolate - the speckles - with fresh
strawberries in the filling and as garnish. A pretty presentation,
especially if the strawberries are first dipped in chocolate.
3/4 cup sifted cake flour
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, grated (Use a food processor or course hand
6 large eggs, separated, plus 1 egg white, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 350°, placing a rack in the lower third of the oven.
Have ready an un-greased 9- or 10-inch tube pan.
2. Sift the flour again into a small mixing bowl. Add the grated chocolate,
blend, and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, with electric beaters, beat the egg yolks until fluffy.
Gradually add the sugar, and continue beating until the mixture is thick
enough to form a ribbon when the beaters are lifted. Add the vanilla and
almond extracts and half the flour mixture. Beat on slow speed, briefly but
until thoroughly mixed.
4. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites with salt and cream of tartar
until stiff but not dry. Sprinkle the remaining flour mixture over the top,
and fold in with a rubber spatula, only until lightly mixed. Then stir a
little into the egg yolk mixture to lighten it; and fold in the remainder
gently but thoroughly.
5. Turn the batter into the pan; shake slightly to level; the bake for 45
minutes, or until a pick comes out clean. Invert the cake in the pan on a
rack to cool for an hour. Loosen the cake by running a think knife between
the cake and the sides of the pan in one long, steady stroke. Remove the
bottom of the pan and release the tube in the same manner. Invert the cake
onto a serving platter, and let it stand until completely cooled.
6. Using a serrated knife, cut the cake horizontally into two layers.
Spread about one-third of the whipped cream over the bottom layer, and press
in the cut berries. Spread the surrounding cream to cover them completely.
(If necessary , add a little more whipped cream.) Place the second layer,
ut side down, firmly on tope. Then spread the entire cake with the
7. For garnish, set the reserved whole berries in a circle around the top
edge of the frosted cake. Refrigerate until serving, several hours if
Note: Chocolate Dipped Strawberries make an especially attractive garnish.
Have them at room temperature; then garnish the torte just before serving.
Fresh Strawberry Cream Filling and Frosting
1 pint small, fresh strawberries
2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1. Rinse the strawberries, let them dry on paper toweling. Set aside 10 to
12 berries for garnish. Remove the stems from the remainder; then cut into
halves, or quarters if large; set aside.
2. In a large chilled bowl and with chilled beaters, whip the cream with the
vanilla and sugar until the cream is firm enough to hold a definite shape.